message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Beauty of the Brush Stroke: Franz Kline + James Nares + Kelly Wearstler

The brush stroke is generally used as a tool, one of many components that makes up a composition. But many artists have embraced the brush stroke itself as a work of art. One of the pioneers of this way of thinking was abstract expressionist, Franz Kline, who's black and white compositions use bold and brash brush strokes to express structure and space...


Today, contemporary artist James Nares is exploring the spontaneous elements of single strokes of paint, positioning himself and his over sized paint brush above the canvas horizontally, letting gravity and force dictate much of the outcome...


I can't help but love the organic tonal variations and the way the paint seems to dance across the canvas in each piece. And I especially adore the element of spontaneity in his work. There is something so incredibly intriguing when an artist releases some of that control and embraces the results. I find this approach to be incredibly freeing and some of my favorite paintings have been the most unplanned and uninhibited, like this gold piece that now hangs in our bedroom...(please excuse the horrible photography)


Interior designer-gone-fashion designer (and my personal hero) Kelly Wearstler uses this look brilliantly in her new collection. And her chiffon and silk fabrics flow just as beautifully as paint on a canvas, making the entire look feel effortlessly chic. I have fallen head over heals for the turquoise mini of course...

And I am always looking for ways to incorporate this look into my home. I love the relaxed urban feel it brings to a space. Like Franz Kline and James Nares' paintings, each piece has a unique story that is made by the viewer rather than the creator, allowing guests and homeowners alike an unassuming sense of comfort when entering the room.

lamp via Beeline Home, plates via Elephant Ceramics, Pillow via Belrossa Home, Rug via Fort Street Studio, Glassware via Habitat, plates via Elephant Ceramics

In fact, looking around right now I see a few glaringly blank palettes in my own home that could use this treatment. Afterall, Miss Wearstler treated a whole wall this way so why not? I strongly urge all of you to try it too, it can be incredibly freeing and you never know what kind of beauty that may come from it...Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Those brushstroke paintings are so beautiful! I would hang one in my house without a moment of hesitation. The blue ones are my favorites, they're just mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete