message

*** Hello! This blog was written from 2010- 2014, Find me and my current work now at www.LauraBurkhartCreative.com ***

Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Daylight: A Hole in the Room

Hello readers! I'm in a constant design process with my own home, always reworking spaces, re-finishing furniture and pushing the limitations that a rental and a budget sets forth. Currently my focus is on our bedroom. It has a little nook in the back corner lined with windows and built-in shelves, just big enough for a bed and a nightstand. And while it is the space that the fewest people see, it is one of the most important because it is where we get our much needed shut-eye.  So here is the look we have going so far...

Things finally began to come together when we found this amazing Indian platform bed at our local Good Will and I painted this chest and now I'm just one major step away from creating a cozy and calming nook that also has enough interest to inspire me to rise and shine at the crack of dawn each day. No, an empty frame is not my design solution to a blank wall, rather a placeholder for my next project, just as soon as I decide what that is going to be....
1 / 2
Maybe some vintage mapping? Both these spaces have the same relaxed, white-washed vibe of our bedroom and I love the way earth tones of vintage maps play into that. And the pieced together framing is a brilliant touch. 
1 / 2
Or maybe something geometric and sculptural? This wood design could even double as shelving and I love the modern sensibility it brings.
1 / 2
Or maybe a little writing on the wall. I love the idea of waking up to one of my favorite quotes or starting the day off with a positive mantra and there is something about handwritten text on a wall that makes a space feel like it's really yours. Something that can be hard to achieve in a rental home. Now I just have to decide which one to do...what is your favorite? Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love the writing-there is so much to ponder & so much to inspire in words. Also love the simplicity of the written word-depending on what is written of course, it doesn't have to clutter your vision or your mind but always provides an element of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! That is the one we are leaning towards as well!

    ReplyDelete